Sunday, July 1, 2007

May 21, 2007 5:45 AM

Hello everyone! Some of you may or may not remember me but I'm studying at Hebrew U this year and am originally from Canada. I have to say that this course and the weblog technology is VERY foreign to me and a large part of my reason why I have not actively participated in our 'communal' weblog as well as updated my own personal one is not because I am disinterested in the subject at hand. In any case, today I decided to allot an hour to click and scroll etc. I hope that I have found an appropriate place to post my thoughts.After reading the comments to this post, my feelings are indefinite. Let me explain. For those of you who know me well, I'm sure you can attest to the fact that I am the kind of person who "has their head screwed on really well". I know what I want; I passionately care about my family, friends and values; and I am not afraid to say what's on my mind, boldly and clearly. I think that as human beings, we are always looking to secure our sense of self and ensure that our identities are grounded. (Maybe I'm only speaking for myself here...) The point that I'm trying to get at is that this course has really probed me to think and rethink many assumptions that I have maintained to date. And it is unsettling for me. At the same time, I believe that this feeling of uneasiness is extremely healthy and necessary. Sometimes we need to hear counter arguments in order to reassess our opinions and evaluate the situation in light of new perspectives and testimonies that we have heard. At the same time, it is possible that after this re-evaluation process, I may come to the same conclusions that I had before this course. Who knows???Anyway, I think what I'm trying to say is that this course has shaken up a lot of my reservations about what is going on in Israel and although this may surprise many of you, I am grateful for the earthquake you have caused because it has allowed me to examine not only Middle Eastern politics but a huge part of my identity. And so, I would like to thank all of you, from Al-Quds, Ohio State and Hebrew U, for presenting an opportunity for me (and maybe for others) to reflect, reassess and listen.

No comments: